Primitive Methodist Missionary Society

Photo:Obv. View of First Primitive Chapel erected at Tunstall

Obv. View of First Primitive Chapel erected at Tunstall

Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Rev. Above in top panel: IN THE BUSH Below in bottom panel: ON THE MISSION

Rev. Above in top panel: IN THE BUSH Below in bottom panel: ON THE MISSION

Englesea Brook Museum

Jubilee medal, 1893

By Martin Bower

In 1843 the Primitive Methodist Conference established a General Missionary Committee to oversee the work of both home and overseas missionaries. Regulations concerning missionaries were agreed the following year but in the first instance any initiative lay with the circuits rather than the Connexion. It was not until January 1870 that missionaries were sent abroad by the Primitive Methodist Missionary Society, when the Revs. R. W. Burnett and Henry Roe, together with their wives, set sail for the island of Fernando Po. The Jubilee of the commencement of this work was celebrated by the Primitive Methodist Church in 1920, this medallion reflecting the Jubilee of the earlier formation of the General Missionary Committee. In 1892 a Missionary Jubilee effort was launched, the eventual outcome of which was the raising of just over £50,000.

The first Primitive Methodist chapel illustrated on the medallion was opened at Tunstall on 13 July 1811 it being built in such a way that it could easily be turned into four small dwelling houses. In 1821 it was replaced by a new chapel, subsequently extended, and rebuilt as Jubilee Chapel for the Primitive Methodist Jubilee Conference held in Tunstall in 1860, whereupon it became regarded as the mother church of the Primitive Connexion.

JUBILEE OF PRIMITIVE METHODIST MISSIONARY SOCIETY 1893

Obv. View of First Primitive Chapel erected at Tunstall surrounded by: FIRST P.M. CHAPEL
ERECTED 1811 (above) JUBILEE OF / PRIMITIVE METHODIST / MISSIONARY
SOCIETY / JUNE 1893 (below)

Rev. Massed crowds of natives separated in two panels separated by: * MISSIONARY SOCIETY *
Above in top panel: IN THE BUSH Below in bottom panel: ON THE MISSION

45mm WM (pierced)

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 25/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.