Sixpenny Handley Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Handley Primitive Methodist chapel

Handley Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

location of former Handley Primitive Methodist chapel

29 High Street Sixpenny Handley SALISBURY SP5 5NR

By Christopher Hill

Handley Primitive Methodist chapel (also known as Sixpenny Handley) was built in 1835. It was one of the 52 buildings burnt in a calamitous fire in May 20th 1892 which started in a blacksmith's shop. After rebuilding, it served until 1979.  

After closure of the chapel, the Society remained on the plan until 1990 as Methodists conducted services in the parish church once every 2 months. At the time of Keith Guyler's picture in 1988 it was in use as an antique dealer’s store.  On Google Street View in 2011 there is no sign of commercial activity; it looks like it is in residential use.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.