Craven Arms Primitive Methodist chapel

Market Street, CRAVEN ARMS, SY7 9NW

former Craven Arms Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 2000

With the growth of the railway era, two Methodist chapels were built in Craven Arms – a Primitive Methodist chapel in Market Street and a Wesleyan chapel. These united in 1932 and built the Church in Corvedale Road.

The Primitive Methodist chapel closed in 1951 when it was sold to a local business and in 1958 became a Roman Catholic Church.  It changed hands once again in 2002 and has been extensively refurbished for use by the Craven Arms Evangelical Church which has been using, and still continues to use, the Community Centre.

Comments about this page

  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 6 December 1879, page 5.
    [Craven Arms]
    On Wednesday last, the memorial stones of a new Primitive Methodist chapel were laid here. The site is situated between the Hamlet of Newton and the Craven Arms Hotel, and near to the New Post Office and Supply Stores. The want of a place of worship has long been felt by the Primitive Methodist denomination, and a number of eligible building sites having been submitted to Messrs. Rogers and Hamar for public auction, sufficient land was purchased, on which it was decided to build a chapel. The chapel is to be constructed of red and blue pressed bricks, with box stone dressings of ground. [sic.] It is partly of Gothic and partly of Italian design, carved finial with gilded top. The windows will be partly cathedral and partly ground glass. There will be a lobby laid with encaustic tiles. The floor of the chapel will be laid with red deal, and the principals of the roof will be of the same material, and will be covered with best old vein Portmadoc slates and ornamental crests. The seats will be of red deal, scrolled ends, with mahogany capping. The wainscoting will also be of red deal and mahogany capped. The rostrum and communion rail will be of red deal, and varnished. The interior of the walls are to be stuccoed and lined in imitation of block stone. The sacred edifice will be well lighted. The architect is Mr. James Hine, Ludlow; and Mr. Charles Weale, Siefton, Bromfield, is the builder. The chapel is to be constructed to seat 150, at a probable cost of £460. The new edifice, when completed, will form part of the Peaton Strand circuit, of which Rev. James Davies is the superintendent minister.”

    By Janice Cox (03/01/2021)
  • Eddowes’s Journal, 19 December 1879, page 5
    On Wednesday afternoon the memorial stones of a new chapel connected with the Primrose Bank circuit of the Primitive Methodist connection were laid at this place, in the presence of a number of friends. A hymn having been sung and prayer offered a portion of scripture was read, and the Rev. J. Ferguson delivered an opening address, very appropriate to the occasion. The stones were laid on hehalf of J. Hamar, Esq., Messrs. C. & B. Weale, T. Smith, and Blakrmore, of Westhope. Several friends laid bricks and placed donations on them. A tea was afterwards given in a large room kindly lend by Mr. Elisha Owen, grocer, of which about 200 persons partook. A public meeting (at which Mr. Brandford, of Ludlow, presided) was held; and addresses were delivered by the Revs. J. Ferguson, J. Davies (Penton [sic!] Strand, W. J. Davies (Ludlow), and others.”

    By Janice Cox (06/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.