Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel

Scotland Street, Ellesmere, Shropshire SY12 0DG

This photo shows the former PM chapel as a garage in the 1950s. Little has changed from the 1950s to 2018 | Photo by kind permission of Ellesmere Library and Shropshire Council
This photo shows the former PM chapel as a garage in the 1950s. Little has changed from the 1950s to 2018
Photo by kind permission of Ellesmere Library and Shropshire Council
This photo shows the former PM chapel still as a garage in 2018 | Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
This photo shows the former PM chapel still as a garage in 2018
Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel | Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Photo No.4. Ellesmere PM Chapel in Trimpley (Street) | Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Photo No.4. Ellesmere PM Chapel in Trimpley (Street)
Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Ellesmere Primitive Methodism Chapel | Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Photo taken January 2018 by E & R Pearce
Ellesmere Primitive Methodist chapel | Christian Messenger 1911/373
Ellesmere Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1911/373

Information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

 

Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

 

note added 09/2017 by CH

Ellesmere Mount Zion Primitive Methodist chapel in the Oswestry circuit was opened on July 12th 1840.  It measured 13 yds x 7yds x 16′ high and cost £253 7s 3d. (see photo 1 & 2)

The chapel was replaced  in 1908 by a new chapel – unusually with a tower – in Trimpley Street. (see photo 3 & 4) The Mount Zion building in 2018 is Scott’s Victoria Garage.

R Ward writes about the opening of Mount Zion in the Primitive Methodist magazine in the attached document.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1841 pages 363 – 364

 

Downloads

Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p 363-364 transcribed by David Tonks

Comments about this page

  • SHREWSBURY CHRONICLE, 31 May 1907 page 7
    “New Primitive Methodist Chapel.
    Messrs. W. Griffiths and Son have seured a contract for the erection of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel, which is to be built on land adjoining the Cottage Hospital.”
    ——————————
    SHREWSBURY CHRONICLE, 24 July 1908, page 8
    “Opening of the new Primitive Methodist chapel took place on Wednesday. Fortunately the weather was fine, and a large number of people were present, both at the opening ceremony and at a meeting held in the evening. The chapel, which is a very fine building in Trimpley, was built by Messrs. Griffiths & Sons, of Ellesmere, from the designs of Mr. Shayler, of Oswestry and Shrewsbury. It will hold upwards of 350 people. The opening ceremony was performed by Mr. J. Hales of Leicester, with a handsome silver key … A memorial window, a pulpit with carving by Miss Pixton, hymnal and bibles given by Mrs. Phillips, Wigginton, and a font given by Mrs. Drury, were afterwards formally dedicated. The special preacher was the Rev. J. H. Jowett, M.A., of Birmingham, who gave a most eloquent sermon. At 4-30 a large number sat down to tea in the Market Hall … In the evening a meeting was held in the new chapel, which was packed. Mr. J. Longden, of Manchester, presided, and the chief speakers were the Rev. J. T. Barkby, of Southport, and Professor Wardle, of Manchester College. Miss Nancy Venables sang several solos.”

    By Janice Cox (07/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *