Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014

Marcle Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014

R Beck

Photo:Marcle Hill PM Chapel

Marcle Hill PM Chapel

Photo:Marcle Hill Wall Plaque

Marcle Hill Wall Plaque

R Beck

Location of Marcle Hill PM Chapel

South side on minor road, Marcle Hill, Much Marcle Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

In 2014 this is a dwelling. The Wall Plaque shows its opening date as 1858. The closing date is not known as yet.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states : A Primitive Methodist Chapel to the east of Much Marcle. It is shown on the 1887 1st Edition OS map, but not on the modern ones.-

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, No entry.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 158. MUCH MARKLE - (MARKLE HILL). A Primitive Methodist chapel at Marcle Hill, erected in 1858.

 

On the 1888 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1929 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel.

On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.

 

Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District - Hereford – Marcle Hill – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 70.  Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.

 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District - 209. Hereford :- Hereford (st. Owen Street), Chandos Street, Birch, Swinmore, Marcle Hill, Shucknall, Hampton Bishop, Cobhall, Didley.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 31/01/2014.
Comments about this page

And like that in Kynaston, a mere two miles away, and the one in the woods on Broadmoor Common it is constructed with rat trap bonded brickwork. Was there a common builder?

By Stephen Horsfield
On 01/05/2017

There's an account by Thomas Hobson in the 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine (p.108-109) of the opening of Marcle Hill chapel in the Hereford circuit on October 24th 1858. Previously they had been meeting in the house of Richard Perrin, a local preacher, but the society grew so much that people couldn't get in. Land was given by Mr & Mrs Mogridge, recent converts, and a chapel built  of brick and blue slate, 23' x 18' and with a boarded floor.

Opening services and tea meeting for 80 were addressed by Messrs Thomas Morgan of London, Richards, Shephard and Thomas Hobson. It cost £70 and they had raised £20.

By Christopher Hill
On 18/05/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.