North Marston Primitive Methodist chapel
Quainton Rd North Marston MK18 3PR
Samuel Turner describes the opening of North Marston (which is printed as Maston) Primitive Methodist chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1842.
“North Maston.—This chapel was opened for divine worship, November 7, 1839, by Mrs. West, from Wallingford, afternoon and evening. And on Sunday, the 10th, in the morning and evening by Mr. H. Bourne, and in the afternoon by Mrs. Horsell; Mr. Bourne preaching at the same time to the children in the old meeting-house. The evening service will be remembered by our friends for years to come. One man got soundly converted, and several others were deeply impressed. The very lowering aspect of the weather during the opening days prevented the attendance of many friends from a distance; and on that account the collections rather suffered.
This chapel is twenty-seven feet long, and eighteen wide. It is settled on the Connexion; arid since its opening a Sunday school has been raised. The work of God has blessedly broke out, and many have found liberty through the blood of the Lamb. The thanks of the society are here publicly given to Mr. Joseph Biggs, for his donation of five pounds, and to Mr. John Biggs and Mr. Dell, for drawing the materials; and to the poor of North Maston, for contributing towards its erection.” (transcribed by David Tonks)
On census Sunday in 1851, attendance was:
90 – Morning General Congregation; 41 – Morning Sunday Scholars;
131 – Morning Total;
115 – Evening
Ordnance Survey maps from 1880 and 1899 show a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Quainton Road at GR SP769228 but it was converted to a private house in the early 1950. On Google Street View in 2011 it is in residential use as Chapel House.
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1842 Page 453