Amcotts Primitive Methodist Chapel Opening, 1858
Amcotts, Epworth Circuit,
Chapel Openings, 1858
Amcotts, in Epworth, Lincolnshire, is on the west of the river Trent and since 1828, Primitive Methodists worshipped in a small house; this was believed to be holding back religious society and its progression. Expansion was a long sought-after goal which was reached in the spring of 1857 due to Mr Glew of Keadby’s efforts with Major Amcotts. The Major gave land and building plans freely and the initial foundation stone was laid in March 1858. The opening service occurred on Sunday June 6th, 1858, with the Wesleyans, Messrs, Foster and Bush taking part as well as Mr T. Daw, the local preacher. From a small house, the Primitive Methodists of Amcotts gained a 30 feet long, 24 feet wide, gothic style chapel that the villagers were so pleased with.
It has since been demolished after its closure in the 1930’s.
The Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1858, p. 558
Grid Reference; 852142