Shillington Primitive Methodist Chapel

Bury End, Shillington, Bedfordshire

The Primitive Methodist congregation in Shillington joined Luton Circuit in 1878. However, Registration for worship in Shillington was not made until 20 December 1887 by William Brass, Pembroke Road, Baldock (Herts), Primitive Methodist minister. It is described as being in Bury End and according to Kelly’s Directory had 100 sittings.

A new PM Chapel was built at a cost of £350 in 1906, the opening taking place on Wednesday 17 October. Fundraising in aid of the Chapel Trust was necessary which included on 26 June 1912 a ‘grand garden fete’ in Goby’s Meadow featuring Gravenhurst Brass Band.

Following Methodist Union, Shillington PM was renamed Bury Road Methodist Church until its closure in 1995.

Sources and References

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

Kelly’s Directory 1898

Biggleswade Chronicle 19 October 1906

Bedfordshire Times and Independent 5 July 1912

Luton Methodism in the 20th Century

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website Overview of Primitive Methodism in Luton

Comments about this page

  • The Bedfordshire Times and Independent 8 December 1905 carries an article about Shillington in which it describes the original PM chapel at Bury End as being ‘a small iron building of rather curious construction with skylights and a small dome.’  The author of the articles notes that there were plans to replace the building and that ‘the Primitive Methodists began their ministrations here in cottages.’

    By Tim Banks (18/03/2015)
  • Kelly’s Directory 1914 notes that the chapel had 100 sittings.

    By Tim Banks (18/03/2015)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.