As we learn on the Newbury Bartholomew Street chapel page,
“Primitive Methodism began in Newbury and the neighbourhood on July 7th 1831 when Miss Smith, who became Mrs Thomas Russell, conducted a camp meeting at Little Hungerford. This was attended by a man from Newbury who subsequently opened his cottage on Shaw Hill, for worship. Afterwards the services were transferred to another cottage at Stroud Green whilst open air services were being held in different parts of the town. The congregation then moved to ‘Ebenezer’ Chapel in Back Lane, where John Wesley is stated to have preached.
On August 13th 1837 the congregation moved to Union Chapel and it was reported that soon after the membership was increased by 40 converts. A minister’s house and schoolroom were subsequently added.”
The opening at Union chapel on August 13th 1837 is reported by G Price in the 1838 Primitive Methodist magazine. He is writing again two years later, when he tells us that the first chapel was an old Wesleyan one, but very damp . In 1837 a larger chapel was purchased but was soon too small for congregation so now had a gallery (6 pews deep) added. There were 137 members and a thriving Sunday school
The 1951 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship includes an entry from John Fuller, Minister, who lived at Newbury Primitive Methodist Chapel House. Is that the same chapel?
What happened to the chapel?
Primitive Methodist magazine July 1838 page 257
Primitive Methodist magazine 1839 page 374