Asfordby Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leics

Steve Wild
Asfordby Primitive Methodist chapel as a shop
Philip Thornborow, 2022
Asfordby PM

Situated in Main Street, the chapel was built in 1840 and enlarged in 1889. After it closed it became a butcher’s shop.

Comments about this page

  • The butcher’s shop is still in existence in June 2022

    By Philip Thornborow (23/06/2022)
  • In 1851 Asfordby East End Primitive Methodist chapel provided 60 free and 50 other sittings, 110 in all. In 1940 the accommodation consisted of a chapel measuring 26 feet by 24 feet and seating for 100 persons in pews. There was also a schoolroom measuring 24½ feet by 24 feet but no other rooms. The chapel was situated on the north side of the village street towards the east end.
    Sources
    The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/418/2/10 (Melton Union)
    White’s Directory of Leicestershire, 1863 p 594
    John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
    OS 25 inch Leicestershire XIX 7 1883/4

    By G W Oxley (08/08/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *