Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane Chapel (Primitive Methodist), Lincolnshire
Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following information relating to this chapel:
The chapel was built in 1860, and closed in 1938.
The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated:
- Barton on Humber Primitive Methodist Circuit 1860-1932
- Barton on Humber Queen Street Methodist Circuit 1932-1938
Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/H/4/1: Sunday School Account Book, 1915-c.1932.
Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/D: Trustees, Sunday School, Chapel Registration & Deeds.
Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/E/7/1: Sale of Chapel, etc., 3 items, 1947.
Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/C/2/1: Trust Account Book, 1859-1930s. Includes a list of Trustees, 1859-1898.
Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/G/2/1: Society Steward’s Account Book, 1920-1930s.
Location of PM Chapel, Thornton Curtis, Lincolnshire:
It is cited on a 6 inch O.S. Map year 1886. However, Thornton Lane would now be Station Road. The PM Chapel was not in the small village centre and one reason may be that apart from that small hamlet the rural farmers and families would have formed a larger part of the congregation. This was typical in rural areas and some PM Chapels today may seem to be remote now.