Horkstow Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Horkstow Primitive Methodist chapel

former Horkstow Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1996

location of 1860 Horkstow Primitive Methodist chapel

Chapel Lane Horkstow DN18 6BQ

By Christopher Hill

Horkstow Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1860 and served until 1969. After closure it was converted into a cottage.

T Kendall tells us about the opening in the Primitive Methodist magazine of March 1861. Preachers included Rev. J. Hoyle (Independent), of Barton, Rev. T. Kendal,  J. Austerbury, B. Stansfield, E. Dixon and Rev. J. Bywater, of Kirton.

The Contractors for the building which measured 28' x 20' and seated 100 were Usher and Stamp. It cost £105 with £40 raised by the time of opening. The rest was borrowed on note at 4.5% interest. 

location: 985185


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1861 page 168

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/09/2015.
Comments about this page

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/C/Horkstow, Chapel Lane/E: Closure & Sale, etc.

Ref. Meth/C/Horkstow, Chapel Lane/C/2/1: Trust Account Book, to include list of Trustees 1860-1911.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 18/12/2017