Widnes Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel

Hutchinson Street Widnes WA8 0BF

Widnes Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel

Thanks to Christopher Wells for information about Widnes Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel.

The 1894 Primitive Methodist magazine records that the Primitive Methodist society at Hutchinson Street, Widnes, is about to  leave their current building for new premises and had started work with the laying of foundation stones.

The 1875 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the south side of Hutchinson Street, just west of its junction with Waterloo Road.  It is still labelled as a chapel in 1893, but by 1907 and in 1927 the building still stands with no identified use. By 1937 it has been extended to included the building formerly standing behind it and is labelled ‘shirt factory’.

The chapel has since been demolished and Hutchinson Engineering is on the site  in 2020.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1894 page 717

Comments about this page

  • The following at the Cheshire Archives & Local Studies:
    Transcripts of baptisms and marriages 1898-1932, 1933-9, ref. 22055-6, Trinity Primitive Methodist School Chapel/Church, Waterloo Rd., Widnes.
    Other documents to include Widnes Primitive Methodists and papers of David Lewis’s account at St. Paul’s Church, Widnes, regarding the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne, 20th June 1897, ref. D 4775/133.

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla (06/03/2022)
  • Wigan Observer 26th June 1869 reports on the laying of the foundation stone for the chapel by Joshua Midwood, then living at Mersey Villas Widnes . He later moved to Bank House Helsby before returning to Hough Green He died in 1915 and is buried in Helsby

    By Susan Lorimer (25/01/2022)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *