Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel

The Street Lyng NR9 5QZ

Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1987

White’s History and Gazeteer states there is a Primitive Methodist chapel in Lyng in 1845.

The Lyng Primitive Methodist chapel in Keith Guyler’s photograph was opened in 1857 and rebuilt in 1898.  The re-opening is noted in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1900.  The total cost, ncluding the land, was over £6,00 of which over £3,500 had be raised.

Its date of closure is not clear, but on Google Street View in August 2009 it is available to let.  In 2015 it is the base of Richard Drury Photography Ltd.

location: 069176


Primitive Methodist magazine December 1900 page 954

Comments about this page

  • The chapel built in 1857 cost £188 10s 4d, and could seat 158 people. In 1859 the average attendance on a Sunday was 130 to 140, and for the weeknight service 50 to 65. In 1895 the average attendance was 120 for Sunday worship, and there no longer seems to have been a weeknight service. (Cyril Jolly, History of the East Dereham Methodist Circuit, 1955, p61.)

    By Jill Barber (01/02/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.