The 1877 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the memorial stones for a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Wickerton (sic) in the Peaton Strands station. We are told nothing more. Wickerton turns out to be Wrickton.
The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at Wrickton in the Peaton Strand station .
The Shropshire’s Nonconformist chapels website has further information, together with a photograph of a lady in a very fetching hat. It tells us that it was reported in 1910 that “The chapel has long been closed and only recently re-opened.” The building was reportedly sold around 1932.
The 1884 Ordnance Survey map locates a very small Primitive Methodist chapel miles from anywhere, at SO 643856, at the foot of the lane to Wrickton Mill. Interestingly, the current online Ordnance map shows the outline of a building with an identical footprint on the site. Undated Street View shows the site has been cleared, although the wooden fence and well established boundary trees remain.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1877 page 755
Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 125
Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels website accessed at: http://www.users.waitrose.com/~coxfamily/wrickton.htm on 10/05/2020