Mow Cop Primitive Methodist Memorial Chapel 1860
Primitive Street, Mow Cop
This chapel in the historic village of Mow Cop was built in 1860 and enlarged in 1882. It replaced the earlier one of 1841 – you can read more about the 1841 chapel on this page.
In 1902 the plaque from the original chapel was placed in the wall of the present day building which in 2015 is still open for worship
Photos taken August 2012 and December 2015
OS Map Ref:118:SJ855571
note added CH Feb 2018
The foundation stone ceremony was reported in the September 1860 Primitive Methodist magazine. The stone was laid by Capt. Alderman James Meek, Esq., of York. The architect was R.Gibson, of Congleton and the contractor was S. Booth of Red Bull.
The chapel cost £900 and measured 1,089 square feet. It was on two floors with the chapel above and school beneath.
Those present at the opening included J Hunt, Rev J Dodsworth, W. Hodge, (Sheriff of Hull), E Foizey, J. Fawcett
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1860 pp.556-558