Netherton Primitive Methodist chapel
The Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 contains an account by T Batty of the recent opening of three Primitive Methodist chapels – at Blackheath, Cinder Hill and Netherton. “The mining district of South Staffordshire has proved a fruitful soil for Primitive Methodism. (The area includes) Dudley … with more than forty Primitive Methodist chapels within six miles of her lofty castle.”
Netherton “is about two miles from Dudley and has an extensive population”. The society had been renting a small chapel for twenty years. In May 1851 it was replaced by a new building, 36’ x 42’ and 27’ from floor to ceiling, with a gallery on three sides. Overall cost was expected to be about £700, with £190 and a mortgage of £500 already raised.
Opening sermons were preached by John Britain (Stockport) and his son Ebenezer, J Bywater (Hull) and Miss CM Buck (Leicester). Congregations were much improved and Mr and Mrs Golding were singled out for particular thanks.
Where was the chapel? Does the building still exist?
Primitive Methodist Magazine for January 1852 p.53