Milldale Primitive Methodist chapel


former Primitive Methodist chapel at Milldale
Keith Guyler 1988
Chapel interior
David Leese

A dissenters’ chapel was opened at Mill Dale in January 1836, but was transferred to the Ashbourne Primitive Methodist circuit in 1886. Although it was closed for regular worship in 1986, in 2015 it is always open for visitors and special services are still held there.

There is an account by R Jukes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of the chapel in Mill-dale. It took place on 3rd and 4th January 1835 when the preachers were J Tomlinson, F N Jersey and D Towers. “The collections were liberal” and there was “scarcely any debt on it.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 p. 318


Comments about this page

  • MIlldale has a claim to being the smallest Primitive Methodist chapel still in use. It measures- 14.5 ft x 18.8ft equalling just under 273 square foot. It has never been extended-has no water nor electricity (candlelight carol services are very evocative).
    Please note that though it has a Derby postcode the hamlet is on the west bank of the river Dove and is in Staffordshire.

    By David Leese (14/06/2021)
  • Milldale Methodist chapel features as one of 60 selected churches, and is well illustrated in the 2016 book by Dixie Wills “Tiny Churches,” pages 159-162. The feature includes reference to the work of John Benton and Eleazor Hathorn. It is the only Methodist chapel to be chosen as a “Tiny Church” for the purposes of the book.

    By David Leese (18/01/2017)
  • For a picture of the interior of this chapel see Brailsford PM Church, and note the comment on this page.

    By Jill Barber (12/07/2016)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.