Thurgoland Primitive Methodist chapel
Now a Joinery Business
School Room Entrance was down the steps
In the Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1855 Robert Wordsworth tells us about the laying of the foundation stone of Thurgoland Primitive Methodist chapel. He describes the village as small, mountainous but with a growing population expected to grow further. It took 20 years from the early mission to the laying of the chapel foundation stone on July 10 1855 by C Rhodes of Bradford “in the presence of a great number of spectators”
This was followed by tea in the old preaching room and a meeting in the Wesleyan chapel, chaired by Mr Rhodes and addressed by J. Nassau, J. Berry; Miss M. Taylor ; W. Daniels, of Peniston ; R Wordsworth and J. Dyson.
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1855 p.560