Redhill Meadvale Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Meadvale Primitive Methodist chapel

Meadvale Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

Meadvale Primitive Methodist chapel

Lower Road REDHILL RH1 6NN

By Christopher Hill

Redhill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Croydon Mission was opened on July 22nd 1855 with sermons by Rev. J. Bywater, of London and Thomas Hill. It was Mr Hill who submitted an account of the opening to the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The chapel was 25 feet by 27 feet, and 12 feet 6 inches to the wall plate. Over the front door was a stone - still there in 2014 - inscribed " Primitive Methodist chapel. Erected 1855." “The pulpit is painted and grained, and the pews, which are capable of accommodating about 100 persons, are stained.” They even tried some future proofing: “there is a beautiful house erected (not yet completed), in such a manner that if the chapel needs enlarging, it can easily be effected. There is likewise a large piece of ground attached to the house, 30 feet by 45 feet.”

The entire cost was around £300, towards which they had raised around £85. Particular thanks were due to J. Hackblock Esq., J. Parrot Esq.,; — Alexander Esq ; — Gurney Esq. 

Keith Guyler's notes say that it was pending disposal  in 2000.  On Google Street View in June 2014 it is shown as a house and for sale.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1855 pp.558-559

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 03/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.