Beaufort Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel, Beaufort

first chapel in South Wales; Primitive Place, Beaufort, Brecknockshire NP23 5JW

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for September 1854 contains an account by Isaac White of Brynmawr, of the re-opening of Beaufort Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday May 28th 1854.

The village had been missioned by John Ride and a society formed with a small chapel in 1823 .  This was the first Primitive Methodist chapel in South Wales. It was enlarged in 1836, but the woodwork in the course of time was found to be giving way. Extensive renovations were carried out  including the construction of a new gallery and replacing the windows.  Most spectacularly, a schoolroom was built behind the pulpit.  It was about 5' above the chapel floor and two windows between the schoolroom and the chapel were installed.  Mr White compares the view when the windows were opened to be like having an orchestra behind the pulpit.

The re-opening services were led by MR W Antliff of Haslingdon.  The total cost was £230 of which they had raised £80.  Special thanks to J&W Needham - although Mr White does not say what for.

The chapel was located in Primitive Place - parallel to Wesleyan Place and Baptist Place - and was still marked on Ordnance Survey maps in 1988.  Although the chapel, known as Ebenezer, has disappeared. the graveyard around it has been landscaped into a green space, retaining the stones, now laid flat. The work in progress is shown on Street View in 2009.

Reference:

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1854 pp. 504-5

Grid Reference: SO16661169

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 07/11/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.