Aylesbury Primitive Methodist chapel

possible location of the first Aylesbury Primitive Methodist chapel

Hale Leys; later New Street

By Christopher Hill

In 1842, Samuel Turner tells us that:

"Aylesbury In this town our people worshipped in a small cottage in the outskirts of the town for near two years.  Our prospects at that time were dark and discouraging.  But mighty prayer to God has been the instrumental cause of bringing about a better state of things.  A chapel called the Ebenezer, formerly occupied by an Independent minister, becoming vacant, (low and poor as the society was,) we ventured to take it, and fit it up.  God approved of the undertaking.  The first sermons were blest to the conversion of a man who is now a member of society.

December 23, 1838, Mrs. West preached morning and evening, and S. Turner in the afternoon; and on Christmas-day Mr. West preached morning and evening, and Mrs. West in the afternoon.  The collections were liberal. Since its opening a Sunday school has been commenced, and the society has almost doubled."

transcribed from the Primitive Methodist magazine by David Tonks

The 1851 Religious census records a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Aylesbury Hale Leys. 

40 - Morning General Congregation; 77 - Morning Sunday Scholars
177 [sic] - Morning Total

130 - Afternoon General Congregation; 77 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
207 - Afternoon Total

170 - Evening General Congregation

The 1877-1879 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map shows a Methodist chapel (which sort of Methodist unspecified) on Hale Street.  By 1899 it has disappeared and a chapel is marked in New Street, opposite the former Royal Bucks Hospital (SP817141). It existed until the 1960s, when it was demolished due to road widening.


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine, December 1842 pages 452-455

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 23/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.