The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1899 comments that few areas had shown greater activity during the previous year or two than Stockton on Tees – including acquiring the site and preparing for building works for a new chapel in Eaglescliffe. The energy came from Rev. E Phillipson, with generous support from R Clapham and his son JR Clapham.
The 1916 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel with a distinctive footprint at the junction of Witham Avenue and Yarm Road. Street View shows that the chapel is still there and open for worship as Trinity Methodist church in 2016. It was a distinctive building of its era.