Gateshead Sunderland Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Gateshead Sunderland Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1924; Englesea Brook Museum
Gateshead Primitive Methodist chapels
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1903/477

A mission was started in Sunderland Road, Gateshead, in 1874, and William Carr and Richard Dinsley were put in charge of it. A room was got in Somerset Street, and the success was such from the start that a schoolroom was built in 1878, and Sunderland Road Primitive Methodist chapel, seating six hundred people, in 1885.

The church closed in 1975.

On the 1897/8 Ordnance Survey map, a Methodist chapel is shown just east of Herbert Street, approximately opposite where the Salvation Army Citadel is now.  Was that this chapel?  What else is known about it and the people who were part of its community?

Comments about this page

  • The chapel at the bottom of Herbert Street, was the Methodist New Connexion Mission Room. Sunderland Road PM Chapel was on the junction with Moore street (houses now occupy the site)

    The text of this page is not correct. The PM Mission did not start in Sunderland Road, it began with the Sunday School in Somerset Street, on 19th September 1874 (school records and Circuit Quarterly Meeting Minutes).

    The school was begun by men from Nelson Street PM Chapel (who also opened various other sites in the Town). The Sabbath School out-grew its premises on so any occasions that the Trustees at Nelson Street began to collect monies for a chapel and the foundation stone of Sunderland Road PM Chapel was duly laid on 22 September 1879.

    At the turn of the century, Sunderland Road had one of the biggest Sunday Schools in the Gateshead First PM Circuit after Felling.

    Richard Jennings, Bede Circuit & Newcastle upon Tyne District Archivist

    By Newcastle District Archives (20/04/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *