Oakfield Primitive Methodist chapel, Isle of Wight
Cross Street Oakfield RYDE PO33 1EH
The Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1854 contains an account by John Maylard of the opening of Oakfield Primitive Methodist chapel.
Oakfield is described as “a village near Ryde, Isle of Wight, containing a population of about 800, having no public means of grace in the immediate neighbourhood.” It was missioned by “our female friends” from Ryde who distributed tracts and after open air meetings and prayer meetings in cottages, a society was formed.
The Bible Christians had previously had a chapel in the village, but it had closed for lack of preachers. It seated 80 and the Prims leased it for 900 years at 15/- a year.
It re-opened on August 27th 1854 with sermons preached by Miss R Wilson. At the tea meeting the following day chaired by Mr Wheeler (Wesleyan), Mr Hayden, Bible Christian “gave us an excellent speech”.
On the Ordnance Survey map of 1897-8. a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the north side of Cross Street, just west of the junction with Harding Road. By 1946 it is simply labelled “hall” and is still there on the 1974 map. On Google Street View by 2009 it has been replaced by new housing.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1854 p615