Newport (Isle of Wight) Primitive Methodist chapel
Pyle Street NEWPORT Isle of Wight PO30 1JT
The 1859 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by J Holdroyd of the opening of the first Newport (Isle of Wight) Primitive Methodist chapel. It was second-hand, acquired from the Wesleyan Reformers, and the opening services were held from October 3rd 1858. Speakers were Rev G Lamb of London, Rev GJ Proctor (Independent) and Rev J Elrick (Independent). After a tea for 200, a public meeting was addressed by Messrs Dash, Lamb, Pritchard, Willis, Holdroyd and J Alderslade.
The chapel measured 44′ x 32′ with a gallery at one end, a schoolroom entered from the gallery, a vestry and room for expansion. It was “fitted up with pews”, lit by gas and had an organ.
It cost £600 of which they had only raised £100.
Where was this chapel and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 p.42