Newbridge (Shalfleet) Primitive Methodist Chapel, Isle of Wight

Newbridge (Shalfleet) Primitive Methodist Chapel, Isle of Wight
Return from Shalfleet  Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship | Provided by David Tonks
Return from Shalfleet Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
Provided by David Tonks

The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return only identifies one chapel in Newbridge, an ex-United Methodist (probably Bible Christian) chapel.

However, the 1851 Religious Census for Hampshire makes reference to Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel at Shalfleet – with a note in the transcribed book that the chapel was probably in the hamlet of Newbridge. This chapel was built in 1847, and the steward was James Marks of Ningwood, nr Yarmouth. Average attendance was said to be 80 with 30 scholars.

Note: Most of the hamlet of Newbridge lies within the Parish of Shalfleet.

The Women’s Institute Isle of Wight Village Book website records: “In 1856 the Primitive Methodists put up a chapel, which today is the Mission Church, with Church of England services held once a month by the Vicar of Shalfleet.”

The Geograph website has the following information:

  • Ref. SZ4187: photograph of former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newbridge, Isle of Wight. (There is a plaque on wall but not viewable on this side view picture).

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *