Prees Primitive Methodist Chapel Shropshire

This brick built chapel was erected in 1894

Picture supplied by Geoff Dickinson

In 2013 this chapel had united with the URC and had approximately 8 members.

Photos taken July 3013

OS Map Ref:126:SJ554335

 

Further information about this chapel can be viewed by following the link to Shropshire’s Nonconformist Chapels.

 

Current information about the chapel can be seen on the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit website.

Comments about this page

  • The opening of the first Prees Primitive Methodist chapel is reported by Joseph Grieves in the 1845 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 77-78). The village had been missioned 20 years previously when “the baser sort” had given much opposition.

    Local preacher Mr Morris gave a plot of land for a chapel which measured 23′ 9″ x 18′ x 12 high. Opening preachers included Miss MC Buck from the Burland Circuit, and Rev S Minsall, Independent minister of Prees. At opening the debt was £60.

    They started a Sunday school

    By Christopher Hill (22/04/2022)
  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 26 December 1891, page 7.
    “PREES
    PRIMITIVE METHODIST BAZAAR. The amount raised in connection with the above, after paying all expenses, was £78. At a meeting of the trustees, the tender of Mr. R. Powell, to erect the new chapel in the village at a cost of £679, was accepted. The old chapel is to be taken down, and all good materials used in the new one.”
    ———————————-
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, 9 April 1892, page 7.
    “PREES
    STONE-LAYING. The memorial stones of the new Primitive Methodist Church were laid on Tuesday, in a site in the centre of the village. The proceedings commenced at two o’clock, when an address was given by the Rev. J. Ferguson, D.D. president of Conference. Stones and bricks were laid amounting to £97 6s., and a collection was taken. Tea was afterwards partaken … Tea being over, a public meeting was held in the [Oddfellows] Hall. The chair was occupied by Mr. W. Smith, of Wellington, supported by Dr. Ferguson, the Revs. L. Miles, J. Aston, J. Williams, W. Hall, and Mr. S. Adams … A collection was taken, which amounted to £4 3s. 2d. making a total for the day of £105 13s. 11½d. This, with moneys in hand, amounts to £326 4s. The building is to cost nearly £700. Votes of thanks were accorded the speakers, chairman, tea-makers, and stone-layers, after which the proceedings terminated.”
    ————————-
    OSWESTRY ADVERTISER, 5 October 1892, page 7.
    “PREES
    THE NEW PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH.
    The dedication service was held on Thursday evening, when the new chapel was filled with a large congregation. The chapel has been erected in a central situation. The service began with a hymn, after which the Rev. W. Hall offered prayer, and the Rev. J. Williams, Congregationalist, read a portion of Scripture. The Rev. T. Richard of Crewe then gave an able address, and the service closed with the blessing pronounced by the Minister, the Rev. L. Miles.”
    ——————————

    By Janice Cox (10/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.