Kendal, Westmorland, PM Chapels

1 Kendal, Castle Street PM Chapel, Westmorland

Kendal, Castle Street Chapel (roughly opposite The Castle Inn) was built in 1823. In 1851 it had 110 free and 90 lettable sittings as well as standing room for 90. It was closed when Blackhall Yard was opened in 1871 and converted into three cottages. There is an image in Bryer, p.14

2 Kendal, Blackhall Yard PM Chapel, Westmorland

The foundation stone of  Kendal, Blackhall Yard Chapel and school was laid on 14th July 1870 and the chapel was opened in the following year By 1930 it was described as an altogether inadequate and unsuitable building and was closed when Lowther Street was acquired. It was sold for £625 in 1930 and demolished in 1964. There is an image in Bryer, p.16

3 Kendal, Lowther Street PM chapel and school, Westmorland

Kendal, Lowther Street PM chapel A “fine and adequate”chapel and school in Lowther Street were purchased from the  Congregational Union for £1868.15.4 in 1929. It proved to be costly to maintain and was repaced Gilling Gate Chapel.

Sources

The National Archives HO129/575/4/9

John Rylands Library, Carlisle and Whitehaven PM District Chapel Committee minutes,

Sources: Carlisle Library, IC9 KEN 287 Bryer, T Percy, A History of Methodism in Kendal, Kirby Lonsdale and Sedbergh, 1987

Site visit 15 April 2016

 

Kendal, Lowther Street PM Chapel from east, 15 April 2016
G W Oxley
Kendal, Lowther Street PM Chapel from west, 15 April 2016
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone