Melbourne Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Melbourne Primitive Methodist chapel

Pocklington circuit: YO42 4QE

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist chapel in Melbourne (East Yorkshire) was built in 1821. In 1859 Henry Knowles of the the Primitive Methodist society in Melbourne reported that membership had trebled in a short period so they expanded the chapel, creating  30 more seats. The expansion cost £36 of which £32 had been raised in advance.

The re-opening took place on September 11th 1859 when the preacher was Mr WH Porter of York.

The Primitive Methodist chapel closed in the 1930s when the society joined at the Wesleyan chapel further east on the street, and in 1977 the ex-Prim chapel was recorded as in use as the village hall. On Street View in 2011, it is not possible to see the building from the road. Is it the same one?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1859 page 687-688

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/11/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.