Rawmarsh, Dale Road, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Rawmarsh, Dale Road, Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Englesea Brook Museum [ENBPM:2013.026]

Rotherham District, Yorkshire

The society in Rawmarsh dates from 1840, meeting in Mr Holloway's house until 1847 when a new chapel holding 160 was built. By the late 1850s this was too small so they planned a new one seating 400 with a S school for 200.

Preachers at the foundation stone laying on October 22nd 1860 included Revs. J. Haigh, J. 8. Lucas and J. Vaughan (Independent). The foundation stone was laid by Mr. L. Holliday, of Rawmarsh,

John Haigh writes: "A bottle was placed in a cavity of the stone, in which was put documents and papers respecting the circuit, the rise and progress of the Connexion, with a copy of the Minutes of the last Conference."


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 52

This page was added by Jill Barber on 09/06/2013.
Comments about this page

The opening of the chapel (which measured 42' x 36') and schoolroom is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1861 by John Haigh. The total cost was £500, of which they had raised £222,  including a donation from John Charlesworth.

Preachers at the opening from April 14th 1861 were Revs. C. Lace, J. Vaughan (Independent), R. Robinson, and J.Haigh.

By Christopher Hill
On 10/04/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.