Ryecroft Primitive Methodist chapel
Ryecroft Road BD16 1DH
The Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1854 contains an article by John Simpson on the opening of Ryecroft Primitive Methodist chapel, in the Keighley circuit.
The chapel was opened on 20th of November 1853 by Messrs Lawley (of Howden), Kendrew (of Leeds) and Simpson and Tanfield (of Keighley). It “is a pretty structure”, measuring “30′ x 27′ within; has a neat vestry adjoining, a convenient cottage beneath the pews and well situated outbuildings.”
The land was given by W.G Ferrand Esq. of Harden Grange. There were further donations by Joseph Cawood, born in the village but visiting from South Africa. Mrs Cawood gave a gilt bible for the pulpit.
Other donations came from Messrs Rhodes (Bradford) and Kendrew (Leeds). Mr Craven (Wilsden) gave his architects services.
The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1893 shows Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel located on Ryecroft Road just to the east of Ryecroft village. It is still there in 1933 but by 1963 it is labelled Chapel House with an adjacent burial ground. Both the converted chapel and the burial ground are there on Google Street View in 2009.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1854 page 50