Rosedale Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel
Rosedale Pickering, North Yorkshire YO18 8SA
Rosedale Primitive Methodist Chapel of 1872 was built for the rapidly expanding industrial population. It was located near the Rosedale East mine. Despite the decline of mining in the area, after union in 1932 it remained in use as Ebenezer Methodist Church. North Yorkshire Council holds records from 1891 until 1986. However, the chapel is still active on the Ryedale Circuit website in April 2015.
Keith Guyler noted that the schoolroom had been converted for adventure use. A photograph of October 2012 on the Geograph site notes that it is at that time the Dales Centre, with accommodation for groups.
It is a remote location, far from Google Street View. The chapel in Rosedale Abbey itself was sold after the Second World War and used for accommodation.
Sue Goodwill, Ryedale Methodist Circuit Archivist, provides more information:
Methodist work began in the Dale early in the nineteenth century and at one time there were five chapels in the area. In the mining era the population reached its highest from 558 in 1851 to 2839 in 1871. The present population is 286 (1961 figure).
When there were many miners in the district the mining company was paying half the salary of the resident Methodist minister.
An old Teachers’ Plan of 1878 shows that there were 17 teachers and 118 scholars at Rosedale Ebenezer Sunday School. List of trustees and members 1972
Location: SE 7079 9764
Geograph website accessed April 2015