Grimsby Hainton Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:the former Hainton Primitive Methodist chapel, Grimsby

the former Hainton Primitive Methodist chapel, Grimsby

Primitive Methodist Conference Handbook 1899

location of fromer Hainton Street Primitive Methodist chapel

Hainton Avenue Grimsby DN32 9BB

By Christopher Hill

When the Primitive Methodist Conference was held in Grimsby in 1899, Hainton Street chapel - " a most imposing place, in one of the finest neighbourhoods" - was the Conference base.

The chapel was built in 1870, but the whole scheme was not completed until three years after in 1873.second Circuit. It seated around 900 people and closed in 1956.  It was replaced by Hainton House a commercial block which in 2015 has several of its retail units unused.

The chapel's Manse was in Eleanor Street.  The site in 2015 is occupied by the Salvation Army hostel.


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.