Coombes Moor (Combe Moor) Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Coombes Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Coombes Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Coombes Moor PM wall plaque

Coombes Moor PM wall plaque

R Beck

Photo:Coomes Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel 1992

Coomes Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel 1992

David Hill

Photo:1865 Coombes Moor (Combe Moor) Primitive Methodist Chapel

1865 Coombes Moor (Combe Moor) Primitive Methodist Chapel

Keith Guyler 1993

Location of Coombes Moor PM Chapel (partial GSV from main road)

North of B4362 on unmade lane, Byton Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 36750 63050

In 2013 the building is now a dwelling. The wall plaque states “ Primitive Methodist Chapel 1865”. No other history other than below has yet been found. 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- The chapel at Combe Moor stands near the road that leads from Mortimer's Cross to Presteigne. It is on a narrow track and is almost hidden from passers-by. The building is of stone with a slate roof and a front porch with double doors and windows on each side. A plaque over the door reads "Primitive Methodist Church (Chapel)1865". The chapel has now been converted into a house with extensions either side of the main building. Few records survive of the religious life of this chapel. It is not shown on the Circuit Plan for 1948 and it is assumed that services had ceased by this time. Unusually, it is shown on the Plan for 1962 after it had been re-opened by a couple from Birmingham who kept a shop nearby. When they moved away the chapel was closed once again. On 17th January 1967 the Circuit Chapel Committee agreed to the closure of Combe Moor Chapel, and the building was later sold. 

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches). 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 35. BYTON with Coombe's Moor. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1865. 

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 42. BYTON with Coombe's Moor. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1865. 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890. 

On the 1886 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive). 

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive). 

On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Chapel. 

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.  

Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – 211 Presteigne & Kington – Coombes Moor - Structure, stone. Seating Accommodation, 100. Type of Seating, P. School Hall, - Other Rooms, -. 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District - 211. Presteigne & Kington. Presteigne (Warden View), Willey, Coombes Moor, New Street (Lyonshall), Pembridge ( High Street), Noke Lane Head.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 26/11/2013.