Crookmullen Primitive Methodist Chapel
Crookmullen. Wigmore Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 39142 68164
In 2013 the chapel is a dwelling. The original wall plaque has weathered away and the present owner has had a replica slab inscribed “Primitive Methodist Chapel 1864”, which is set in the ground in front of the chapel. Just to the North the next dwelling is named “Chapel Cottage” and there is “Chapel Farm” just to the North East, are these previous meeting places? The owner related that just before closure the congregation was down to two ladies who both attended the service and looked after the building. It is thought that the chapel closed in 1976. It was sold to be next converted into a holiday home. The present owners then purchased the building and extended it to the West, they also purchased additional land around it.
Herefordshire Through Time HER Monument Search states Methodist Chapel converted into a private house.
Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1890.
On the 1886 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1953 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chap.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS Archives hold, Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 – 31 July 1972.
Which state:-In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.
In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.