Swinmore Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Swinmore Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

© Copyright Bob Embleton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Photo:Chapel in November 1991

Chapel in November 1991

David Hill

Photo:Interior November 1991

Interior November 1991

David Hill

Photo:Wall Plaque 1991

Wall Plaque 1991

David Hill

Location of former Swinmore Common Primitive Methodist chapel

Munsley, HR8 2SJ

This small chapel originally seated just 40 people. Situated at Swinmore Common in the parish of Bosbury, it is listed in a Directory for 1913, but it is not yet known when it opened or closed.
Link provided by Richard Beck.

Additional information

The Primitive Methodist Magazine of August 1851 p499 includes an account by Joseph Best of Hereford of the opening, by the Rev C. Smallman of Bromyard, of "our pretty little chapel" on Swinmore Common "in delightful weather" on June 1st 1851.  

The chapel is described as being built of brick with a slate roof; it measured 16' x 24' and was 21.5' from floor to ceiling. It cost £123/13/10.5; at the time of opening the debt was £80 which had been  borrowed on a note at 4.5%.

Within a year of opening, there were already 16 members.

Other names mentioned are Revs S. Wesley (Forest of Dean), J Ramsey, P.C. Turner and C Smallman.

The chapel is still marked on the 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map of 1928.  It is located further up the farm track to the east of Swinmore Farm

This page was added by Jill Barber on 26/09/2013.
Comments about this page

David Hill has brought to our attention the following link to more pictures of this chapel.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 23/02/2017