Stockton Primitive Methodist Chapel
Directly on south side of A4112, Stockton, Kimbolton Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 52229 61307
Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- The chapel at Stockton is located on the side of the busy Stockton Cross to Tenbury Wells road near Kimbolton village. The chapel is marked on the 1st edition OS map (surveyed in 1884-5) but not on the 1984 edition.
An inscription on the building reads “Primitive Methodist Chapel erected 1850. Ebenezer ‘Hitherto the Lord hath helped us'”.
The conveyance of land for the building of the chapel was completed in September 1850. The chapel was built at a cost of £83 and was designed to seat 80.
By 1859 the average attendance was 30 for the Sunday service and 16 on weekdays, and there was a Sunday School in existence. The following year the chapel appeared to be flourishing with Tea Meetings, Missionary Meetings and Revival Meetings.
The chapel underwent some renovation work in 1869, and by 1929 there were two services on a Sunday, at 2.30pm and 6pm.
Attendance must have dropped somewhat in later years as when the Border Counties Commission Experiment considered the future of Stockton Chapel in 1963 it was advised to centralise with Leominster.
The chapel is in good condition and has been converted to use as a private house.
(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)
The wall plaque has been repainted and now states Erected 1830, which appears to incorrect from above source.
Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 106. KIMBOLTON. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 121. KIMBOLTON. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here.
On the 1886-7 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Church.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – 212 Leominster. – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 90. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.
These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.
There is an account of the opening of the chapel written by J.D.Whittaker of Leominster in the Primitive Methodist Magazine for May 1851 pp 312-313