Stockmoor Primitive Methodist Chapel (demolished)
Lay on South of road to Luntley, Dilwyn Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 39507 54936
Herefordshire Through Time states :- The site of Stockmoor Chapel is in the corner of a field about 1¼ miles west of the village of Dilwyn, not far from the hamlet of Luntley. This chapel is shown on the 1888 1st edition OS map, but not on the 1984 edition.
The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1864; it originally cost £146 and was designed to seat 120. The land acquired for the site cost £4 and measured 101 square yards.
As is typical for a chapel in such an isolated position the membership was never very large:
1884 7 members
1906 20 members
1912 13 members
1916 10 members
1931 10 members
1944 8 members
By 1882 there was a Sunday service at 2.30pm but no Sunday evening or weeknight service. In 1951 the building was in need of renovation for the second time but attendance had dropped quite low. Things did not improve; by 1954 the chapel was averaging only three people at services, and it had not been possible to carry out the repairs. Services ceased soon after.
The property of the chapel was dispersed to local chapels such as Kingsland and Weobley, and in 1963 the building was sold for £20. Unfortunately it has since been demolished.
(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)
Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 45. DILWYN. The Primitive MethodIst chapel in Church Dilwyn,a quarter of a mile east from the church,was built in 1855, and there is one at Stockmoor, built 1864.
Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1888.
On the 1886-7 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)
On the 1973-4 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is no longer marked.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – 212. Leominster – Stockmore (sic) – Structure, brick. Seating Accommodation, 92. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.
These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.