Little Wakering Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Little Wakering Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

By Keith Guyler, 1994

London (North East) Essex

By Lauren Haines

The village of Wakering in Essex was home to two chapels, Great Wakering and Little Wakering. The Primitive Methodists began worshipping in a small wooden building at Barling which was transported in sections to a site in Little Wakering from 1888 onwards and was opened and established fully in 1911. This building was later replaced in 1935 by a permanent chapel but the original building was retained for Sunday school meetings. By 1940, the chapel held 250 people with pews and had built on two school rooms and 2 other rooms but unfortunately the chapel suffered bomb damage during WW2. 

The chapel and school room closed in 1989 and the property was sold. Little Wakering Methodist society amalgamated with Great Wakering Methodist Chapel in the same year. 

Sources


Brake, G. T (1994) Great Wakering and Little Wakering, The History of the Methodist Church in Southend and Leigh Circuit, Essex: The Rochford Press, pp. 13

This page was added by Lauren Haines on 15/04/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.