Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel

Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1992

Shipdham Primitive Methodist chapel

Market Street Shipdham IP25 7LZ

By Christopher Hill

Shipdham was first missioned in the 1830s by Rev R Key and for 20 years the growing society and Sunday school met in a chapel they rented. In 1860 E Last offered a site and a new chapel with 14" thick walls and slate roof,  and measuring 36' x 24' was built. It cost £170 of which they had raised £70. The foundation stone was laid on May 22nd 1861.

Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on September 15th 1861.  Preachers at the opening services and tea meeting included Rev Gunns (Norwich), Rev RG Williams (Dereham), Rev R Key, J Scott, J Dalglish, H Turrell and J Andrews. The chapel served until the 1960s when it amalgamated with Shipdham West.

The opening is described by Jonathan Scott in the Primitive Methodist Magazine of 1862.

The building became Evangelical East End chapel.  It is still in use in May 2011 on Google Street View; is it still active?

location: TF 968079 


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1862 page 45

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.