Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel
Market Street Shipdham IP25 7LZ
Shipdham was first missioned in the 1830s by Rev R Key and for 20 years the growing society and Sunday school met in a chapel they rented. In 1860 E Last offered a site and a new chapel with 14″ thick walls and slate roof, and measuring 36′ x 24′ was built. It cost £170 of which they had raised £70. The foundation stone was laid on May 22nd 1861.
Shipdham East End Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on September 15th 1861. Preachers at the opening services and tea meeting included Rev Gunns (Norwich), Rev RG Williams (Dereham), Rev R Key, J Scott, J Dalglish, H Turrell and J Andrews. The chapel served until the 1960s when it amalgamated with Shipdham West.
The opening is described by Jonathan Scott in the Primitive Methodist Magazine of 1862.
The building became Evangelical East End chapel. It is still in use in May 2011 on Google Street View; is it still active?
location: TF 968079
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1862 page 45