Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow' page

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow' page

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow' page

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow' page

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Gwern-y-Saint (Providence) Primitive Methodist Chapel Wonastow' page

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

Photo:Interior view of Chapel from doorway

Interior view of Chapel from doorway

Photo taken July 2017 by E & R Pearce

In 2017 Gwern Y Saint Chapel is situated in an area called Worthybrook at NP25 4DW

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist Magazine for March 1851 includes an account by George Grigg of Monmouth of the opening of Wonasaint Primitive Methodist Chapel. The foundation stone was laid on October 10th 1850 and the opening was celebrated on New Year's Day, January 1st 1851.

Wonasaint had been missioned in 1840 and services after that were held in a cottage. As the society grew it was decided to build, and the new chapel was stone built and accommodated 150.  The cost was £110 of which £58/2/10 had been raised by the time of opening.

The chapel is recorded as being in the Pillawell Circuit. Pillawell is now more often spelled Pillowell and is in Gloucestershire, just north of Lydney. The land for the chapel was provided (at a nominal value) by Miss E. Williams of Gwern-y-Saint Farm. Gwern-y-Saint Methodist church is still active in 2017 with a weekly Sunday morning service. The Chapel is surrounded on three sides by a graveyard as shown in the photos. It is in the Wonastow Parish, to the west of Monmouth.

OS Map Ref:161:SO470117

 

N.B. There appears to be some confusion here relating to what was written in the Primitive Methodist Magazine, namely Wonasaint and to Gwern-y-Saint - the name to which the chapel is known by. Was Wonasaint a 'local name' in the mid 1850s?


Reference

Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1851 pp 174-175

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.