Garndiffaith (Gwyndiffaith) Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel
7 Bethel Court, Herberts Road Abersychan NP4 7RR
There is a former Primitive Methodist chapel in Herberts Road, Garndiffaith (Gwyndiffaith), just north of Abersychan in Gwent.
The chapel is shown in Street View in 2011 as still active but does not appear in the current Find a church section of the Methodist website.
The 1837 Primitive Methodist magazine identifies the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at what it calls Gamdiffaeth – probably the same settlement. It was in the Blaenavon circuit and opened on July 28th 1836. Preachers at the opening were Mr Hibbs and Mrs West.
The new chapel measured 20′(w) x 24′(l)
The chapel served for 15 years and then the society outgrew it. They had to move site as the original had no room for expansion, and foundation stones for the new chapel were laid on September 3rd 1849. Preachers included J White and Rev Jones (Welsh Independent). Opening services started on February 3rd and soul-reviving preachers were G Grigg (Radstock), Rev S Price (Baptist), Rev Owen (Welsh Wesleyan) and Mrs Harvey, whose relative wrote about the occasion for the Primitive Methodist magazine.
This chapel was 42′ x 33′ x 20′ high and cost £350
The 1867 magazine reports the chapel’s enlargement.
“The congregation and Sabbath -school at Garndiflfaith, in the Pontypool circuit, having much increased of late, necessitated the enlargement of the chapel. A gallery and a rostrum have been erected, the old work thoroughly repaired, and the whole tastefully painted and beautified by Mr. George Burford, of Blaenavon. The whole cost will be about £100. Towards this sum the Rev. T. T. Shields raised, in various ways, £33, with promises amounting to several pounds more, before he left the circuit in July last.
The re-opening services were commenced September 8th, 1867, when the Rev. J. Broadhurst preached morning and evening, and the Rev. D. M. Davies (Welsh Independent) in the afternoon. On Lord’s-day, September 22nd, the Rev. G. Smith, of Abergavenny, preached three sermons. The collections on the first Sabbath were £6 12s. 9d., and on the second £4 6s. 9d. The Rev. J. Broadhurst delivered a lecture on Tuesday, the 24th , when more than £4 were taken at the door. By collections, donations, etc. , the sum of £55 has been raised, which we intend to increase to £80 by the end of this year. Joseph Best.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1837 page 29
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 pages 691-692
Primitive Methodist magazine 1850 April page 243