Middle Rasen Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Middle Rasen Primitive Methodist chapel

Gainsborough Road LN8 3JU

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1854 contains an account of te reduction of debt at Middle Rasen Primitive Methodist chapel.

The chapel was built n 1838 and the debt when completed was £107.  In the five years running up to 1854 the pew-rents did not average more than 15 shillings a year and it was difficult to meet the interest and incidental expenses.  However, in 1853, new trustees were obtained and a new trust deed established.  The debt was lowered by £47 - including contributions from  from the General Chapel Fund Committee and Grimsby chapel - and the trustees were able to borrow £60 at 4.5% interest so "appear to have a prospect of making the chapel pay its way."

Early Primitive Methodists were not affluent and this sort of issue was a common concern.  Money values and worries often crop up before numbers of members in reports in the Primitive Methodist Magazine.

The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1906 shows the Primitive Methodist chapel on Gainsborough Road, opposite the Nag's Head pub.  In 2008 there are detached houses on the site.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 14/10/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.