Middle Rasen Primitive Methodist chapel
Gainsborough Road LN8 3JU
Middle Rasen Primitive Methdist chapel was opened on September 30th 1838 when the preachers were Mrs Barkworth and F N Jersey, who wrote about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine. He tells us that the land was given by a widow lady and she also lent the money for the erection of the chapel which was built “on the elevated plan”. It measured 30′ long by 19′ wide – co-incidentally the same size as chapels built locally at the same time at Marsh and North Kelso; were they the same design?
The Primitive Methodist magazine for March 1854 contains an account of the reduction of debt at Middle Rasen Primitive Methodist chapel.
The chapel was built n 1838 and the debt when completed was £107. In the five years running up to 1854 the pew-rents did not average more than 15 shillings a year and it was difficult to meet the interest and incidental expenses. However, in 1853, new trustees were obtained and a new trust deed established. The debt was lowered by £47 – including contributions from from the General Chapel Fund Committee and Grimsby chapel – and the trustees were able to borrow £60 at 4.5% interest so “appear to have a prospect of making the chapel pay its way.”
Early Primitive Methodists were not affluent and this sort of issue was a common concern. Money values and worries often crop up before numbers of members in reports in the Primitive Methodist Magazine.
The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1906 shows the Primitive Methodist chapel on Gainsborough Road, opposite the Nag’s Head pub. In 2008 there are detached houses on the site.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1839 page 134
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1854 page 179