Market Rasen Jameson Bridge Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Jameson Bridge Street MARKET RASEN LN8 3EW
The Lincs to the past website suggests that the Masonic Hall on Jameson Bridge Street was built in 1800, and was originally a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, possibly with an associated burial ground. The Primitive Methodists bought the building in 1836 although the society predates this by 17 years. In the Primitive Methodist magazine for 1856 the chapel is described as “in a dismal garb of grey” and “repulsive … for want of painting and cleaning”. They set to to put this right – and were so enthused they decided to do further work.
Re-opening celebrations, including a tea meeting, began on 1st of June, 1856, with addresses by Mr. Newsome, from Hull, T. Ratcliife, G. Watkinson, W. Robinson, H. White, and T. Elston.
The chapel was given a new façade in 1866. The Lincs to the past website also dates the building as it is in 2016 to around 1890
The notes with Keith Guyler’s photograph say that Bridge Street chapel served until 1940. It was sold in 1943 and became a warehouse. At the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph it was Market Rasen Masonic Hall.
Lincs to the past website accessed 31st March 2017 at: http://www.lincstothepast.com/Former-Wesleyan-Methodist-Chapel–now-Masonic-hall–Jameson-Bridge-Street–Market-Rasen/234829.record?pt=S
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1856 pp.498-499