Mumby Centenary Primitive Methodist chapel

Hogsthorpe Road Mumby LN13 9SD

1909 Mumby Centenary Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1994

Mumby is east of Alford. Mumby Primitive Methodist chapel dates from May 1836 and is located in the south of Mumby on the A52.  Speakers at the opening included Bros. Stamp, North and Coulson. The new chapel measured 20′(w) x 30′(l)

The first chapel seated 100 and was rebuilt on the same site in 1909, this time with seating for 75. The chapel closed in 2008 and has been converted into a house.

The notes with Keith Guyler’s pictures refer to it as Mumby Centenary chapel. Around 1909 is the Centenary of the Primitive Methodist Connexion.

location: TF 517744

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1837 page 436

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist Centenary 1807-1907:
    Centenary PM Chapels were being built c.1907 yet some later for various reasons, such as rebuilding on same site or relocation nearby to be larger, etc.
    The Mumby PM Centenary Chapel [20 year] Anniversary:

    Louth Standard Newspaper, Saturday, 29th July, 1929, page 10 :
    CHAPEL ANNIVERSARY. – The Primitive Methodist C. at Mumby held their centenary anniversary service on Sunday when the special preacher was Mr. H. Imprey of Sutton on Sea. In the afternoon a sacred musical service was provided over by Mr. Robinson of Sutterton. Special musical items were rendered by Mrs. Wigfield, Mrs. Bream and Mr. J. Marsh junr. (Mablethorpe). Also was rendered some …………….[?] recitations, the organist being Miss. Needham. At the close of the service a hearty vote of thanks was given by Mr. W. Farrow (Society Steward).

    By Ray & Marie. (12/02/2022)
  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/J/3: Photograph of interior of Chapel c.2006, including the Rev. Alan M. Barker.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/J/2: Photograph of exterior of Chapel, c.2006.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E:  Chapel, Sunday School: building repairs, alterations, closure and sale.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E/7: Quinquennial Inspection & other Structural Reports.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby, Centenary/E: Chapel & Sunday School: building, repairs, alteration, closure, sale.

    Ref. DIOC/DISS/4/1839/11: Certificate for Nonconformist Chapel, Primitive Methodist, Mumby, year 1839.

    Ref. Meth/C/Stickford, Primitive/C/3/2: Letter re loan trust Stickford PM Chapel, by Trust to Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, year 1915.

    Ref. MLI82083: Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, history from first PM Chapel to Centenary PM Chapel.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (14/12/2017)
  • Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

    Ref. MLL1599: Photograph of the Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel (Centenary) while in construction in 1909, showing 6 workmen, 3 women, 1 with a Parasol.

    Ref. Meth/C/Mumby/Centenary/C/3: Corespondance & Papers.

    Ref. DIOC/DISS/4/1839/11 & 13: Certificates – Mumby Primitive Methodist Chapel, year 1839.

    Kind regards,

    Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth nearby.

     

    By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie) (16/11/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.