Dowlais Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

Dowlais Primitive Methodist chapel in the Tredegar circuit was opened in 1846.

In the 1855 Primitive Methodist Magazine there is an account by Joseph Hibbs of the re-opening of the chapel on October 7th and 8th, 1855, when Mr. John Edwards, the Rev. G. P. Evans, Baptist minister of Swansea, and Joseph Hibbs, preached in English ; the Revs. T. Rees and B. Williams, Independent ministers, preached in Welsh. The afternoon service was held in a large Welsh Independent chapel, kindly lent for the occasion. The services were attended with a Divine influence, and £11 was collected. 

What happened to the chapel and where was it?  The Old Maps are not clear and there is a very large number of chapels per square mile!


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1855 p.751

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.