The 1851 Census of Places of Pubic Religious Worship contains a return from Crowton Primitive Methodist chapel. It was completed by Joseph Fryer, a farmer and chapel steward. It shows that the chapel was opened in 1840 and seated 140. Attendance on Census Sunday morning was 50 people, the afternoon 56 and the evening 20. There were Sunday schools with 30 children attending in the morning and afternoon.
The 1841/2 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on school on the eastern side of Ainsworth Lane, just north of where Beech Rise is now. It is still labelled as a chapel on the 1986 map. On Street View, the chapel still exists, converted into residential use. Is it the 1840 chapel?